CAM SOFTWARE FOR CNC MACHINING
Choose from a range of Autodesk CAM software programs for 2-, 3-, and 5-axis machining, multitasking centers and wire EDMs.
At SolidCAD we believe in providing the best-in-class services and expert knowledge on all Advanced Manufacturing software. We are excited to announce that SolidCAD is now specialized by Autodesk for Advanced Manufacturing solutions. Our team of experts are focused on providing services, support and training for all of Autodesk’s CAM solutions.
Down below is the three main Autodesk products that SolidCAD can support you with.
Expert high-speed and multi-axis CAM software
PowerMill helps you manufacture molds, dies, and highly complex components with maximum efficiency and quality from your 3-axis and 5-axis machines.
Automated CAM software to make parts faster
FeatureCAM automates your workflow from design to NC code, to minimize programming times for CNC milling, turning, and wire applications.
Integrated CAM Software
Autodesk HSM CAM is only available as part of the Product Design & Manufacturing Collection, provide an integrated CAM programming solution for Inventor and SOLIDWORKS.
Expert 3 Axis & 5 Axis CAM Software
PowerMill excels in the machining of simplistic 3 axis or complex 5 axis parts. PowerMill gives access to a large library of toolpath selection, simulation and verification tools for subtractive, additive or hybrid machines.
High Efficiency Roughing Strategies
- High speed technology that uses smoothing motion to avoid sharp directional changes.
- Adaptive clearing strategies that allow high removal of material. (Vortex from stock and from model)
- Exceptional calculation times.
- Use stock models to identify remaining material.
- Re-machining control that detects un-machined stock with minimal air cutting.
- No need to select surfaces to include in toolpath generation. PowerMill automatically scans the entire model during calculation.
- Automatic gouge free toolpaths.
- Variety of shank and collision checking tools available for every situation.
- Utilize PowerMill Modelling to fix poorly trimmed models or to create surfaces to aid in toolpath control.
- No need for toolpath regeneration when changing items like:
- Speeds & Feeds
- Leads & Links
- Connection Moves
- Entry and exit points
- Flexible optimization tools for control:
- Toolpath trimming
- Re-ordering of cutting segments
- Deletion of unwanted segment
- Point control
- Simulate toolpath in wireframe or 3d mode to visually inspect toolpaths before posting code.
- Use the virtual machine tool to detect any costly collisions or machine limits.
Comprehensive finishing strategies
- Huge library of strategies for any situation.
- Strategic toolpath options for:
- Rib machining (Mold & Die)
- Port machining (Automotive)
- Blisk & Blade (Aerospace)
- Probing (Inspection)
Ultimate Multi-Axis control
- All strategies can be converted to 3+1, 3+2 or simultaneous milling.
- Incorporate axis limits to reduce movement on the machine.
- Axis smoothing options allow for higher quality finishes.
- Take advantage of the Dynamic Machine Control to edit tool axis on the fly without recalculating the toolpath.
- Make localized edits to tool axis motion.
Industry machining solutions
- Utilize industrial robots for redundant cutting operations and repairs.
- Additive toolpath technology for hybrid machine tools and robots.
- Utilize PowerShape’s EDM solution within the PowerMill environment to automatically calculate electrodes.
Automate your process
- Save toolpath strategies and reuse them for future projects.
- Record and edit user defined macro’s.
- Create high end API’s to communicate directly with the PowerMill interface.
Every CAD Support
- Imports all mainsteam CAD file types.
- Machine directly off mesh files.
Automate Your CNC Programming
FeatureCAM® CNC programming software automates your workflow from design to NC code. Reduce programming time and increase consistency for a range of CNC applications.
- Scan your models to automatically detect features and apply operations to them.
- Generate NC code quickly.;
Control your programming
- Automate your process by teaching the software how you want to machine your parts.
- Standardize your machining configurations.
- Save redundant features that appear on part families into a library.
- Use FeatureCAM’s surfacing and solid modelling controls.
Simulation and Safety
- Run a variety of different types of simulation to gauge where potential issues may arise, including:
- Centerline simulation
- 3d simulation
- Machine simulation
- Detect collisions to holders and machine components.
- Use collision avoidance to trim, tilt and avoid regions of your part.
- Set models as clamps or fixtures to avoid collisions or costly mistakes.
- Review simulation results and edit the output to maximize efficiency.
Comprehensive Machine Support
- FeatureCAM allows you to control your whole shop since it supports:
- 3 Axis
- 4 Axis (positional and simultaneous)
- 5 Axis (positional and simultaneous)
- Wire EDM
Every CAD Support
- Import all mainstream CAD file types.
All-inclusive, integrated CAD/CAM programming solution for Inventor, Fusion 360 and SolidWorks.
CAD-embedded 3-, 4-, and 5-axis milling, turning and mill-turn capabilities, to simplify your machining workflow.
Available exclusively as part of the Product Design & Manufacturing Collection.
HSM CAM Features
BE MORE PRODUCTIVE, FASTER
Experienced Inventor and SolidWorks users will feel right at home working with HSM CAM and will be able to create high-quality toolpaths within minutes.
LEVERAGE THE POWER OF PARAMETRIC 3D CAD
Leverage the power of parametric 3D CAD to improve the performance of your Methods and Industrialization Department and to streamline company-wide business processes. Designed from the ground up to work inside Inventor and SolidWorks parametric 3D CAD.
With Autodesk HSM CAM:
- No switching back and forth between design and CAM through a neutral file format
- Program directly on the solid model using your parametric 3D CAD interface
- Parametrically model every detail of your machining setups for greater control and precision
- Insert your part into templates of your common machining setups
- Maintain associativity between product engineering and manufacturing processes
- AnyCAD technology allows you to open virtually any non-native CAD, all-the-while retaining associativity to the original model
- Design fixtures and custom work-holding solutions around your part with powerful drawing tools
- Make the Methods department more self-sufficient with the powerful measurement and 2D drafting tools of 3D parametric CAD
- Communicate dimensions, tolerancing, and instructions with model-based definition
REDUCE THE IT OVERHEAD
A common CAD/CAM platform makes it easier to manage your software resources. With Autodesk HSM, CAM data is saved within CAD part or assembly files, thereby streamlining data management.
FRIENDLY, STREAMLINED, AND HIGHLY VISUAL – THE HSM INTERFACE IS A CLEAN-SHEET DESIGN.
- Easier to learn than any other CAM
- Graphical view of operation depth settings
- Automatic detection of feature depths/heights from the solid model
- Automatic detection of similar features
- Regroup features of differing depths in a single operation
- 3+1 or 3+2 axis indexing as easy as picking hole axis or feature floor
- Intuitive programming of simultaneous 5-axis toolpaths
- Several ways to reduce repetitive tasks and to capture best practices
- Powerful stock removal simulation and collision detection
- Automatic HTML-based set-up sheets
- G-code review with the licenced CIMCO Edit code editor
HSM CAM QUITE SIMPLY THE BEST VALUE IN CAM TODAY.
DO IT ALL, STRAIGHT OUT-OF-THE-BOX WITH NO OPTIONAL MODULES TO PURCHASE!
Included support for most types and configurations of CNC machines:
- 3, 4, and 5-axis vertical or horizontal milling centers
- 2-axis horizontal or vertical lathes, single or dual spindle and turret
- 3-axis+ live-tooling turning centers / mill-turn machines
- Routers, laser cutters, plasma cutters, waterjet cutters
- 2.5D milling toolpaths
- 3D milling toolpaths
- 2.5D intelligent roughing
- 3D intelligent roughing
- Rest machining
- Contour tabs
- 3+1/3+2 axis pre-positioning
- Simultaneous 5-axis milling
- Nesting for sheet material
Generic HSM CAM post-processors for a variety of machine types (milling, turning, sheet material cutters) and a variety of machine controllers are included with your installation of HSM CAM. Consult the Autodesk HSM Post-Processor website here: https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts to download the latest versions of these posts, and other newly-developed generic post-processors.
Users may also wish to try the highly-flexible and well-formatted SolidCAD Generic FANUC Post-Processor, freely-downloadable here.
Note that all HSM CAM post-processors are compatible with Inventor HSM, HSMWorks for SolidWorks, and Fusion 360 CAM.
In most cases, however, users will ask SolidCAD to develop a post-processor that is specific to their machine and to their needs. For information about this service, please consult the Post-Processor Customization Service Page.
Included with HSM CAM are setup-sheet templates that, like post-processors, are designed to be user-editable and adapted to the user’s best practices.
Of these, the HTML setup-sheet template is perhaps the most interesting. It is the default template applied when creating a setup-sheet through the “Generate Setup Sheet” shortcut command (right mouse button). This template captures an image of the model as displayed at the moment of setup-sheet generation, creates a tool list, and creates an operations list. Additional notes concerning the machining setup can be inserted through the “Edit Notes” command. Upon generation, the setup-sheet opens in a web browser. It can then be printed to PDF for archiving.
However, users may wish to first try the streamlined and well-formatted SolidCAD Generic HTML Setup-Sheet, freely-downloadable here along with its companion style sheet and read-me file.
For those wishing to become maximally-efficient with HSM CAM in the least amount of time, SolidCAD offers HSM CAM training in the form of a formal 3-day class (see curriculum), or in the form of individualized coaching, online or on-site anywhere in Canada. Please contact Sales for more information, and a member of our HSM Team will reach out to discuss your needs.
On a higher level, many actions in HSM CAM can be automated through iLogic, going beyond simple reuse of machining setups. Also, HSM CAM now features its own API. Contact our specialists to discuss the possibilities that this affords
Running CNC machines profitably depends to a large extent on the selection of optimal cutting parameters. To minimize the guesswork of choosing speeds and feeds that are compatible with new machining strategies (i.e., Adaptive Clearing), unfamiliar tools, or unfamiliar materials, we recommend the FSWizard Pro app by Zero Divide.